Cooking interesting meals with limited ingredients can be challenging. Though one can survive on pasta five nights a week, it’s nice to mix it up and bring a little variety when possible. With our Tasty Tuesdays, we will provide easy meals using ingredients you can typically find in a food hamper. Today, we present two delicious and fast egg-based meals.
Eggs in a Nest
Makes a great breakfast or snack.
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 2 Slices bread
- 2 Tbsp salsa (optional)
- Take a small cup and create a hole in the centre of each slice of bread
- Add oil to large frying pan. Turn heat to med- low
- Place both slices of bread in pan
- Crack one egg into the center of each slice of whole wheat bread. Fry until lightly brown
- Flip each slice of bread. Fry until lightly brown
- Optional: Add salsa on top (or experiment with your own toppings)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves sliced garlic
- 1½ cups canned baked beans
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbl canola oil or other oil
- Black pepper to taste
1) Heat a medium skillet that has a lid over medium-high heat. Add the oil and let it get hot. Add diced onion and black pepper into the oil. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring regularly; or until the onions are soft and starting to brown slightly at the edges.
2) Add the sliced garlic. Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring regularly.
3) Stir the baked beans into the vegetables. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low-medium.
4) Crack eggs onto the beans. Cover with the lid and let the eggs steam for 5 minutes.
5) Divide onto two plates and serve immediately. Goes great with toast!
Makes 2 servings
recipes sourced from The Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank
Photo Credit: Jamaila Brinkley under licence
One thought on “Food Bank Recipes: Eggs”