Being on a tight budget can make it difficult to celebrate special days, but we’ve found a yummy and decadent dessert that is easy, inexpensive, and sure to please any sweet tooth.
1 box Devil’s food cake mix
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup icing sugar or regular sugar
- Preheat oven to 350o.
- Stir (by hand) the dry cake mix, oil and eggs in a large bowl until dough forms.
- Roll the dough into balls (about 1.5 inch diameter).
- Rolls the balls in the icing sugar and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet (or roll them in it after, just as they’re cooling, if you find the sugar is being absorbed while baking).
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until centre is just set.
- Remove from pan onto wire racks to cool (or to a plate).
Of course, adapt this recipe as needed. Try a gluten-free cake mix (even the big brands are making them now), or use vanilla cake mix with a few dashes of red food dye for a pink delight, even rolling them in cocoa instead.